22 February 2010

Pink Lemonade Cake

I made another layer cake last week. I was watching The New Adventures of Old Christine, a re-run, where new Christine had dumped Richard at the altar, and when Matthew and Barb go to check on her, she feeds them huge pieces of wedding cake and a bottle of champagne each. The cake looked really good. A four layer white cake. Suddenly that was all I could think about. Mmm, a nice white cake. Gotta have it now, don't have time to bake one, let it cool then frost it. Jump in the car and go buy a sheet cake at Giant. Wow. They have really gone up in price! $10.99 for 1/8 sheet cake! They are crazy. After much hemming and hawing, I bought a box mix and decided to make my own icing.

After baking the cakes, I mixed up some plain butter cream frosting, but decided I didn't want just plain icing with white cake. Maybe lemon? I love lemon icing. Then I decided to tint it, but I didn't have any yellow food coloring. So I used pink. One drop. It turned a lovely pale shade. I really hate strong color icing, it gets all over your tongue, gross. But lemon-flavored pink icing?
And that is how pink lemonade cake was born.
Unfortunately, my goal of instant gratification failed. They layers were too warm to frost before bedtime. I asked Lewis to do it when he got home. Didn't he do a great job? Far better than my last attempt. I think he may be the official cake froster from now on.And it was darned tasty, too. Oliver was disappointed because he didn't get to try any of the cake.

No comments: