21 March 2012

Bleak Back Yard

Well, up until now I wasn't completely unhappy to see so many trees come down. Most of the pines were planted way too close together and were all unhealthy because they were too crowded. We thinned those out. They took down the junky poplar tree. No big loss there.

Then they "trimmed" my apple trees. My antique Grimes Golden apple trees. They are now about 1/4 the height they were. Yes, I know they definitely needed some maintenance. But I'm not running an orchard, either. I was less concerned with the productivity of the crop than with the overall health of the trees. I believe they are nearly as old as the house.

I was going to have my friend's grandfather come in and take a look at them. He is a forrester with much passion and knowledge of apple trees. Well, all trees. But he was very excited to hear that I had two Grimes Golden trees. Before they were just allowed to go wild for at least a decade. Now I'm embarrassed to show him what has just happened to them.

sad apple trees and yucky view of the factory's tanks and parking lot
The real tragedy of the day was my mighty elm tree. You may recall that it took quite a hit from a storm a few years back. The top 1/3 of the tree came down. Took out a nearby pine. Thankfully it didn't fall toward the house.

It got a good trimming after that and many people told me to just take it down. I wanted my forrester friend to tell me if it could be saved, and if we could work around it when we went to regrade. Sadly, I woke up to this sight this morning.

previously disguised view of the factory


mighty elm, reduced to its parts
Now it is too late to save it. I'll admit that I cried. I really loved that giant shade tree. It protected the back of the house from the sun. And wind and rain. I believe it is very old and it did not have Dutch Elm Disease. What a gem. The yard looks really different now. Bleak and barren. Maybe I'll get a picture of the whole yard later.


3 comments:

Sharon Kwilter said...

Umm, were you not expecting it to be cut down? It doesn't look like it came down by itself. I'm a bit confused why you were surprised about its removal.

Christine@Oliver's Bungalow said...

Sasha-
Yes, as I mentioned, I had hoped to consult with a real tree pro before doing anything as drastic as taking my elm down all together. Not much I can do about it now, though!

Also, the tree removal guys told me they couldn't come until July and they suddenly showed up unannounced yesterday morning.
-Christine

Anonymous said...

There are few things as sad as a chopped tree. :(

Rachael (bungalowbliss)