04 November 2010

Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Cake

Some time ago, mom bought this box of Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa powder. As you know, I've long been a fan of the box mix and a whiz at doctoring a box mix, so I don't often make cake from scratch. I'll admit, it is better, but I used to make cake more frequently than I do now. (They were baked goods fiends at my old job.)

Well, someone in mom's office brought in this cake one day and mom just loved it, asking for the recipe. She was told it was the one from the back of the cocoa can.

So, I decided to to make this last week, partly for mom, partly to take a few slices to my friend Jessica, who just had her baby, and partly because I had a hankering for some serious chocolate.
Straight from the back of the Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa box.
Well, let me tell you, folks. This is a good chocolate cake recipe. And the icing recipe isn't bad either. But together... it is a bit much. I was afraid it might be. I called mom to see if she wanted something light and fluffy to go with this rich dark chocolate cake. Maybe whipped white or peanut butter? No, she assured me, it sounds like a lot, chocolate on chocolate, but it is good.

She only took two pieces.

Now I'm stuck with about 1/3 of a super sweet cake!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Oh my gosh that looks so good! Maybe you could email a couple slices to me :)