02 November 2007

window hardware

I'm not sure what exactly to call this kind of window lock, maybe a loop-style casement latch? I think they look original, and are probably brass under all that age. These are photos of the nicest one.

These locks are on each of the seven small square windows: two in the living room, one on the landing to the second floor, one in the upstairs bathroom, and one in each of the bedroom's closets. Some of theses windows hinge to the right, some to the left, and the two in the living room have hinges at the top.

The windows are supposed to stay propped open with casement stays, but I only have one casement stay that is left fully intact. Several are only missing the nut used to tighten the rod. And one or two of them are long gone, only the screw holes left in the wood as evidence that they ever existed.

I wanted to take a photo of the casement stay that is still intact, but I can't find it. In the back of my mind I am beginning to remember a complete casement stay in a zippered gallon size freezer baggie. That must be the one I carried with me to the salvage places, to show them.

For a while, I was carrying a whole tote bag of stuff to show anyone who would listen. Do you know what this is called? Have you ever seen one? Do you have any like this? No? Can you recommend anyone else who might? Me schlepping around my bag of hinges and locks and knobs and escutcheons and screws, oh my.

So, does anyone out there know what this window lock is called and/or where I can get more?
And where I can get replacement tightening nuts for the casement stays?

No comments: