19 November 2008

Upstairs Bathroom Details: The Saga of the Medicine Cabinet

The medicine cabinet is just about the only original fixture left in this bathroom. And even some of these pieces are replacements. Like the large flat piece that makes up the header. At some point, some P.O. decided that wide piece of wood was the optimal spot for a light fixture. Yeah. One of those eighties theatre dressing room numbers. So that piece of chestnut had to be completely replaced, as well as the piece that makes up the apron. That one suffered when the backsplash and new counter were installed. Yeah, I know the knobs don't line up with one another, and it used to bug me, but there is no evidence of another hole on either door, so I guess they were always like that.
The back is made up of bead board- the real stuff.
Small holes were drilled at (irregular) intervals for shelf supports. We've discovered the holes are an in-between size, too!

Seriously, though. I love this medicine cabinet. Now that it is all nicely refinished, it looks so nice in the room, all warm wood. Without it, I don't think the bathroom would look as well-adjusted to the period of the house.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damage and all, you're incredibly lucky it was never torn out and replaced with some cheap steel thing!

Unknown said...

It looks great! Of course, I'm a sucker for finished wood :-)

Just A Girl And Her Craftsman Bungalow said...

Did you strip this or was it like that? I have the original medicine cabinet as well. Someone took it out and put a window in its place. So now when you go to brush your teeth and you look up there is no mirror-- just a window. Step to the side to look in the mirror. I'm saving the cabinet that is covered with layers of paint to decide what to do with it. I went to the local salvage and they were selling them for $75 to $175 each. I have a big one. I'll post a photo soon.

Christine@Oliver's Bungalow said...

Believe me, after reading about so many other people trying to recreate or buy a new medicine cabinet for their 20s bathroom, I have a full appreciation for my original.

The interior never recieved a coat of paint, thankfully, because I don't think I have the patience for stripping all those little grooves on the beadboard. All the exterior pieces, however, had been painted with a thick coat of dirty white latex paint. We stripped them, replaced what wasn't salvageable, and I had Jack stain and finish all the pieces to match each other.

Jennifer said...

It's a gorgeous cabinet. I love the little details, like the beadboard inside!