07 July 2008

"& Trust" It's in the Details

Most of the time our POs do stupid stuff. Quick fixes, shoddy work, it was never done to last.

Every once in a while, you get something neat, quirky, like this:
This is the door jam between Oliver's room and the kitchen. At some point the door was removed, and they filled in the hinge spaces with bits of yardstick.
You wouldn't belive how many yardsticks we have found while working on this house. They seemed to be tucked into every nook and cranny.
When Jack stripped this door frame down, and discovered this, he called me over to show me. You couldn't tell before because the paint was glopped on so thickly that it filled the little grooves. I was so surprised. My first reaction was, drop jaw, "what on earth...", then, "oh, brother, stupid POs", and then... I smiled. It's kind of cool. It is just something neat about the house. "Let's leave it." Jack said he would try to get all the paint off, but not sand it so much that you could no longer make out the markings. I think he did a good job. It isn't something most people would even see, and most of the time I forget about it, walk right past it. But sometimes it catches my eye. And it makes me smile.

No comments: