06 December 2009

Mattress Talk

With my self-imposed deadline fast approaching, and my decluttering progressing with many stops and starts, I realized that I had better get Lewis to the mattress store so we can make our selection. So Thursday night we met for dinner after work, then drove over to Lemoyne Sleeper, a local mattress manufacturer with a showroom next door.
Two years ago I purchased an all foam mattress from them, and I've been really pleased with it. I sleep so much better without springs digging into my hips, aggravating my fibromyalgia. But I wanted Lewis' input before we put down big money on a king size bed.

We tested many beds in the showroom, and finally settled on a mattress with a firm foam core and memeory foam top. It is from the Night of Luxury collection. Doesn't that sound nice and promising?
We talked price, sales and financing. Regularly $2,899, Sale $2,399, with an offer of 0% financing for 24 months. That would make payments $100 per month.

Yet there was still one more important decision to be made. King, or California king? Lewis is 6'5", and I don't think the poor guy has ever had a bed where his ankles didn't hang off the end. The salesman showed us the one floor model in king, just for size. We both plopped down there and got to talking about how nice it will be. I told the salesman about our trip to Maine last fall, where we stayed a little bed and breakfast with a gigantic king bed. So nice.

Ready to make the K vs. Cal K decision, wrap this trip up and head home, I turned to Lewis and asked, "so, are you willing to give up a few inches of width to gain a few inches of length?"

So innocent. I really didn't mean to go there, but Lewis burst out laughing and couldn't stop, so of cours I started giggling, the poor salseman did his best to remain professional and keep a straight face, but he had to walk away. Several minutes later, when we regained our composure, we got his business card, and I appologised. He said he's heard a lot of things over the years, but that was one of the best. I'm sure my face was beet red, I was so embarassed.

No comments: