15 June 2010

Beans, Green and Yellow

My beans sprouted while I was away for a long weekend!

Those are volunteer marigolds or possibly cosmos growing behind the fence. Not sure how they will do. Then the row of beans in front of the fence, and nasturtium seeds were planted in the 4 circles in front of the beans. Volunteer cosmos to the left, at the end of this bed. Good to prevent soil erosion, bad because it may overshadow the beans on that end. I kind of figured things would spring up while I was gone. I was surprised to see just how big the beans had gotten. I started them from seed sometime last week, and when I watered them on Thursday, only a couple of them had sprouts just beginning to peep up out of the dirt. Now they already have their true leaves! It was a nice surprise to come home to.

I planted "tendergreen" and some kind of yellow bean, variety unknown. Mom gave me the seeds, she may or may not know.

I just hope I have planted enough beans to have more than one single serving every couple of days, like last year. It would be nice to be able to serve them at dinner. Ooh, that reminds me, I've been on the prowl for a new steamer...

No comments: